First Hand accepts applications from anywhere in the world. If you or someone you know would like to apply for assistance on behalf of a child, please review the financial guidelines and the criteria listed below. If your child’s case meets all criteria, we are happy to consider your application.
- The child must be 18 years of age or younger (a person 19–21 may be considered if they are in a child-like mental state)
- The child must be under the care of a pediatrician
- The case must involve a child with a specific healthcare need
- The request must be clinically relevant to the health of the child
- There must be no existing insurance coverage for the requested expenses
- One request per year, per child for a maximum of three times in a child’s lifetime
- Treatment: Clinical procedures, medicine, therapy, prosthesis, etc.
- Equipment: Wheelchairs, assistive technology equipment, care devices, hearing aids, etc.
- Displacement: Lodging, food, gas, parking and transportation for families of seriously ill children who must travel during treatment
- Vehicle modifications: Lifts, ramps and transfer boards
- Home modification projects
- Alternative or experimental drugs, treatment or therapy where there is controversy in the medical community
- Wheelchair-accessible van purchases
- Requests for research funding, mass population grants or other nonprofit organizational grants
- Requests for debt reduction/past medical bills
- Copays or deductibles